International student graduates will no longer need to remain in Canada while their Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is in process.

As of February 21, graduates who are eligible to work full time without a work permit will be able to maintain their ability to work legally in Canada even if they leave and re-enter the country.

International students must apply for their PGWP before their study permit expires in order to be allowed to work full time.

It can take upwards of 90 days for a PGWP decision to go through.

In order to work in Canada without a work permit, PGWP applicants must satisfy the following requirements:

They held a valid study permit at the time of the PGWP application.
They have completed their study program and obtained a degree, diploma or certificate.
They were full-time students enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary, vocational or professional training program of at least six months in duration.
They did not work more than 20 hours per week during their study program.
If the federal government refuses the application for a work permit, the graduate must then stop working as soon as he or she is informed by the immigration ministry.

Read more

Add Your Comment